6.09.2009

Teaching Our Children To Love God



"Didn’t the Lord make you one with your wife? In body and spirit you are his.  And what does he want? Godly children from your union."  Malachi 2:15
I read this verse recently and it just jumped out at me.  What does God want from my marriage? 

Godly children. 

That is the one thing he desires from us!  Children that love him!  Everything else that he instructs us concerning marriage is really all for this one purpose!  And how do we do that?  How do we raise children that love God?  Jesus told us the single most important commandment was to love the Lord our God with all our heart, all our soul, and all our mind (Matthew 22: 37).  When we live our lives in love with God it will be evident in all we do.

Do you remember what you looked like when you first fell in love?  Everyone could tell!  There was a lightness about you, a joy that just couldn't be contained, an infectious care-free spirit.  Is this what our children see in us towards our God?

 I pray they do!

And when we love the Lord our God we will love His Word, his Love Letter to us.  I've been sporadic about our family Bible time.  I've not been completely consistent.  But I've seen that when I'm excited about teaching my Lil Man lessons from the bible, when I'm excited about teaching him about God's love, he is too!  It's so amazing to see his little heart respond to the instructions of our Father.

God desires His Word to be a natural part of our day.  To be intertwined with everything we do as a family.


"Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." Deuteronomy 11: 18-19
Sharing the word of God with our children can be that simple.  As simple as incorporating Bible lessons during play time, while cooking with our kids, while taking walks together.  It doesn't have to be "formal", in fact it should be as natural as breathing.

I've found a great Bible study book for younger children (ages 3-8) and we have really enjoyed it.  It's called WWJD for Kidz.  It has thoughtful questions, fun learning songs and rhymes, activities and bible memory verses.  It has been a wonderful find for this sometimes scatterbrained mamma!
Even though I do want to make sure we study the Bible everyday together, teaching my children to love God should never look like endless rules and empty rituals.  It should look like love.  Light, Joyful, and Easy.

20 comments:

Veronica said...

Joye...great post, again! Lately I've been really struggling with how to teach Alyssa. She doesn't respond well to traditional lets sit down and Mommy teaches you your letters, etc. I like your suggestion of making it something we sprinkle throughout the day and not just during a specific sit down time. It requires a little more thought, be you are so right about the fact that if we are excited, our children will also be excited. I definitely want to share the love of the Lord with my children. Now is when it starts!

Jenilee said...

we do have an opportunity when they are small children to teach them the love of Jesus throughout the whole day. They are with us all the time and it is an exciting opportunity to build a great foundation for the years when they aren't around us so much. I love the verses in Deut. that remind me to teach them about God while we go about our days. Thanks for sharing!

Lauren said...

This is so wonderful and true! When we got our foster sons they had never heard the name of Jesus. Two months later I was fixing a snack in the kitchen when I heard Avery (one of the twins) sing out from the living room " Joy! Joy! Joy! Joy! Jesus in my heart!" ... I can't express the overwhelming praise that filled my heart. They can know Jesus and His love and Joy - even at 2 yrs old...

Anonymous said...

Hi there Joye,

Wonderfully put...Amen!
Sweet picture of your little guy.

♥ Hope

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Wonderful photo (and words!) ...

Such truth in your post.

Last week at Bible School, our worship leader asked the children to share ways they know that God is real. One little girl said this: "When someone says they love God, and then I see how they act in real life, that's how I know that God is real."

Children are watching.

Unknown said...

Beautiful post Joye! You have a wonderful way with words. I needed this today. Thank you

Kristin said...

Amen! This is something new for us all to do at my house, but I agree that there is nothing more important! Wonderful post, Joye! I'm going to have to look for that book!

Kristen, pajama mama said...

WoW! What a verse...and post! thanks!

More Than Words said...

So true!! There will always be opportunities throughout the day to teach our children about Jesus, and who He is!!

We have the exact same book!! Love it!! It really makes them think!

Unknown said...

I love this post today! Thank you so much for encouraging talks with kids to be like breathing, so easy, and so natural! What a wonderful lesson that you shared with all of us!

Beth in NC said...

Great post Joye. My daughter LOVES for us to read her bible to her. Did you see my youtube of us reading David and Goliath? It is on my video bar. Very cute.

Blessings!
Beth

Darcie said...

You said it perfectly! Our children can see so much, and you can't hide love! Our kids love to read an hear about the stories in the bible too, and the love that is so evident in the scriptures. Great post!

really.truly said...

Amen! I totally agree :)

LisaShaw said...

Another great message. You speak from your heart with truth and transparency. I love that about you Joye! God bless you and your beautiful family.

Tracey said...

Great post! Teaching our children about God and seeing them come to a saving knowledge of Him is the greatest thing we can accomplish as Moms.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to hear of a family that "actually" teaches thier children, and not just talks of it! You will be thrilled when they are older and accept Jesus, on thier own, and not because Mom and Dad do! It is truely awesome to witness! Enjoy Joye all the steps of this walk...And blessing to you and your husband as you show them how to love God and trust Him..shi`

ps..did you fix/find your camera???

Sarah said...

Amen, Amen, Amen! I am always blessed when I stop by. Your words continue splash my day. I am learning along with you dear friend. Home school has taken a back seat to our Treasure box time where I snuggle with my boys, we devour His word, we cultivate the soil in our hearts. Oh, our treasure box is filled with many books and treasures but the WWJD Kidz, I just might need to find it.

Always blessed by you,
Sarah Dawn

christy rose said...

Joye,
I love how you describe what loving God should look like to our children. LIGHT! JOYFUL! EASY!
I think that sums it up. When children experience us loving God and the effect His love has on us, how could they not love a God who makes their momma so happy and relaxed in life?
This was great!
Christy

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

Joye...you are such a beautiful encourager. I love to see how the Lord is using you to reach out in love and to be an example of his love to your children...and to other moms. Beautiful...

Thanks so much for letting your light shine...and your joy overflow!

Love to you,
Kelly

miranda said...

Love this post, how encouraging and what an awesome scripture. Thanks for sharing!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Do ask. Do tell.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape