7.10.2012

on cinnamon rolls, teaching our children, and actions that speak louder than words


Monday, monday...
was a very lazy day around here. 
We needed a break after going and going at nearly 90 miles an hour the past few days.

But among all the things I did not get accomplished so far, I did make homemade cinnamon rolls with the kiddos.  Astair and Legend were so into it that I had to hop around the kitchen just to keep one step ahead of them.

I found an easy recipe for no yeast cinnamon rolls here.  Nothing fancy, just simple and fast.

Astair loved rolling the dough, I'm surprised they weren't paper thin.  She's a natural little baker, unlike her mama.


I've been reading some great books on parenting/schooling lately.  Trying not to overload myself  with reform  (I tend to do that).  I think I'll pick one or two areas each week to work on, such as patience and  diligence in discipline and an attitude chart for my oldest.  I love the idea of studying one virtue every two weeks and focusing on that together as a family.  And although there is so much wisdom to be gained from other sources, I want to be careful that I take from them only what the Holy Spirit impresses on my heart and what the Word of God confirms.  

I'm in God's classroom right now and I'm studying how to be a better teacher to my children.

They're at an age when wordy explanations and discussions are miles over their heads and that is the way I love to communicate.  Important concepts are getting lost in translation and Jesus is drawing me aside and saying,  "Watch how I do it."  And he invites the little children into his lap to hold them and to bless them and he stops what he is doing, his very important teachings and healings, and he just sits with them.  Enjoys them.  He models love and affirmation, His very attitude tells them "You are important.  I respect you."  And His actions are what they hear louder than any sermon on the mount.  (Luke 18: 16)

My actions are teaching my kids more than any words I speak.

That is a sobering lesson to learn.  And has me running once again to Jesus' side.  It has me willing to face whatever discomfort He might put me in, so that all the dross can be burned away and my outward life will reflect the inner calm He wants to give me.

On the blackboard in my God's classroom, He's written this verse down for me to memorize:
"His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.  Through these he has give us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.
For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.  For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."  2 Peter 1: 5-8

In increasing measure.  I never graduate from God's school of learning.  It's an eternal enrollment.  

I'm learning right alongside my children.  And along the way, His word has given me the best tools for helping shape my children's character.  God bless the dear woman who compiled most of them together all on one chart:  Wise Words for Moms by Ginger Plowman.  This is hanging on my pantry door and I refer to it constantly.  The picture below is blurry, but believe me when I say it is an excellent source of wisdom!



And the more I apply these to my own life, the more fruit I will see in my ministry at home  (even though it may take years of gardening before I get to enjoy the fruit of my labor!)

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."  Galatians 6:9


11 comments:

Christy said...

great post :)

Rae said...

Just wanted to tell you that I adore your blog. You have a beautiful family, an amazing awe-inspiring faith, and love that speaks louder than words. Thanks for sharing your story with the world.

Southern Gal said...

Love your approach, Joye. It's refreshing to come read from someone who is just starting out on the homeschooling journey. I hate to admit it, but I have become weary in well doing. I need a fresh perspective with my youngest who is the only one here now for 8 more years. Thank you.

P.S. Our granddaughter, Ava, finally decided to make her appearance Sunday. ;)

trump said...

Greetings from the Amish settlement of Lebanon,pa

Little Oak Table said...

I'm new to your blog and love today's post! There is nothing that smells better than a pan of cinammon rolls baking in the oven!

Unknown said...

Oh! How I LOVE THIS BLOG! Love your heart for Jesus!!!

Newest follower!

xoxo

Unknown said...

this is so perfect joye!
i, too, find myself becoming too wordy with my kids.
my oldest can lost of times get into things with me.
but my second born just looks at me with a blank stare.
i am goint to think about his more and i think it may be a key part of my dealings with ty.
instead of long talks i need to get him on my lap and snuggle or play.....thanks for sharing what you are learning. you are generous.

Leslie @ top of the page said...

i so need the Lord's fire to burn off all my dross right now in my parenting. your post is convicting. i'm in a frustrated season with discipline, feeling as though i have no good ideas left that i haven't tried. and that's making me all the things i don't want to be. what i don't want to do, I do. that passage is an excellent one. i need to study it in the classroom too. thank you.

Laura said...

Yes! Let us not become weary!

Mary said...

love this.
i need it as well.
xoxo

Unknown said...

Hi Ruby Joye, I've been lurking for a while- just wanted to tell you that I love the way you give words to your faith. You are very inspiring- thank you for sharing your life and thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Do ask. Do tell.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape