7.12.2012

Loving other people's children


I remember her well, my best friend's mother.
She always had a kind word for me.
I felt loved when I was around her.  Not the nuisance I most assuredly was.
No matter what trial she was going through, sickness, divorce, or single parenthood, she exuded the peace and joy of the Lord.  "Come here, Joye-Joye", she would beckon me from the bed she was confined to by illness, "and tell me how you've been".  And she made me feel like I was special to her. She was a beautiful woman, inside and out.  I feel lucky to have spent so many of my youngest childhood days at her house.

There is something rare and wonderful and so beautiful about those people who don't merely love their own, but love other people's children as well.  Who invite you not only into their homes, but into their hearts too and you never feel like an outsider or that you don't measure up to their standards.  You're just accepted as you are, dirty feet, annoying habits, and all. 

And now I'm the mother with young children and my house full of their neighborhood friends.  And just as my friend's mother planted those seeds of loving other people's children in my heart those many years ago, I'm wanting to follow her example....

    Read the rest of this post on Beautifully Rooted

3 comments:

mandi said...

I really love this post. It is so important to me that other children feel loved and special when they are in my home. So glad to read this here.

Kelli said...

Thank you for that. I am truly encouraged at this moment.

Heidi said...

I read the rest on Beautifully Rooted. What a great post! I was so convicted and encouraged at the same time. Thank you so much for sharing this. Wonderful and timely post for me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Do ask. Do tell.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape